My Road To 3D

 For a good portion of my adult life, I worked as a professional photographer. Employed by a company called ESPO (Leicestershire County Council), my job was to photograph 'products' for an annual supplies catalogue. This involved making images from anything like exercise books, pots, pans and even packs of toilet rolls. Out of hours, I worked on my own projects, but the daily grind of my day job, destroyed my creative eye.

I retired at the age of 60 in 2013, and never looked back. Since that time, I have built my own cameras, photographed many subjects, and all my archive is now in housed at the magnificent Bishopsgate Institute, in London UK, along with my diaries and journals. 

Several years ago, I attended a lecture on 3D photography (stereoscopy), given by Brian May of the band Queen, at De Montfort University, here in Leicester UK. Brian is a 3D enthusiast, and after hearing this amazing talk, I was hooked. Now, I do little else but make stereo images, either using conventional film, digital cameras, or an app on my iPhone 7, called i3DSteroid. here are a couple of images made with the latter.



At the time of writing, I have completed building a very large 3D pinhole camera which will us 'photographic paper negatives. More about that another time. 




Comments

Popular Posts