Wednesday, 8 July 2015

On Location

One of my 'all time' favourite movies is 'A Month in the Country', released in 1987. It was adapted from author J.L. Carr's masterpiece of the same name, written in 1980. It's also for me, one of the best books dealing with recovery from the horrors and post traumatic stress, from the battlefields of WW1. The central location for the film was St. Mary's Church in Radnage, Buckinghamshire, the area itself masquerading as remote Yorkshire, where the book and film are set.

I had always wanted to visit the church, and recently found myself walking up the pathways and among the foliage, where actors Colin Firth and Kenneth Brannagh, did nearly thirty years ago. It's a stunning church, and the landscape that surrounds it is equally beautiful. I hope to return there one day, maybe in the winter, but in the meantime, the movie itself can be seen in its entirety, on YouTube .


No comments: