Friday, 29 August 2014

Pages for Autumn

With my massive Summer reading lists coming to an end, I'm gearing up for chilly afternoons, low sunlight, and open fires. All I need to accompany me is a pile of books to stimulate the 61 year old mind, and what better way to kick off than the two thick books shown here: 'The Diary of John Evelyn' and John Bunyan's magnificent 'The Pilgrim's Progress.

John Evelyn for me was a far better and more detailed diarist than Samuel Pepys, He was certainly more mobile, and his diary reads at times very similar to my other favourite diarist, John Wesley. In 1654, John Evelyn rode through Leicester and East Leicestershire, describing the area as 'Old and ragged'. I have a distinct feeling that both of these books will transpire into backdrops for photographic projects.

When I was a child, books loomed large in my life, now I've retired they are looming even larger.  I purchased The Pilgrim's Progress from a fabulous second-hand bookshop in Leicester, Maynard & Bradley. Fading, just inside the cover is an inscription 'A present from Harry, Xmas 1921'. It  must have passed through many hands since that time, now it rest here among my classics for the rest of its days.

No comments: