Friday, 20 June 2014

The Odour of Words.


One of my favourite things in life, is scouring the book shelves of charity shops in the hope of finding a gem or gems, to cherish for the rest of my days. My latest find happened a couple of weeks ago in Oxfam, where I just had to purchase two volumes of verse by Rudyard Kipling. Originally, they were three volumes, I have numbers two and three, but I'm keeping my eyes wide open to find Volume One.

They were published by Hodder & Stoughton in 1919, the finished pages are ragged cut, bound in red cloth, with gold leaf on the covers and spine.
The verse of course speaks for itself, mouth wateringly dark in places,
but always alive and gripping. And the fusty smell of the books, makes one
thing about their journey from printing press, to the shelves of Oxfam in the
heart of Leicester. I will be devouring them for many years to come, and hopefully
my grandchildren will do likewise.

No comments: